A path to nothingness

 Time and again to ponder over such questions- why am I doing this? What is the purpose of the art I am making? ...useless again to visit this query prompted by my fickle mind. Many times, one might wonder- do I really need to do this? I mean- who really cares?? But the point is, that is not for me to decide. For this is what comes out from my soul and there is not much I can do about it.

So, probably just like a sparrow sings a song not because she wants to sing …it is because she was born with this song written in her heart…and this is what will always come out from her.

If I try to claim the position of an artist- a silent voice inside me calls out- “…?”

Thus, my soul speaks to me and says, I am not the artist- for the art resides somewhere else. And the song is also born much before I sang it. But to empty my self from the superficial notions and to become like a clear glass so that the light/song that is conceived somewhere else can pass through my being in the most unadulterated form is the only purpose in order to carry the privilege I am granted.

Just like Gibran says-

…the lamp which I carry
does not belong to me,
and the song that I sing was
not generated from within me. 
Even if I walk with light,
I am not the light;
and if I am a taut-stringed lute,
I am not the lute player.

The journey is towards the nucleus of my own being… the nucleus being the nothingness. Quiet often I am visited by maya. Time and again my journey is tested and my notions break. Again, I think the process in a way follows the path towards nothingness.

The person who is referred to as artist in this world, is also many other things- a friend, a caregiver, a student, a traveller…many identities while we exist in this world... artist being just one of them. So, for my own saying- I decided to not to label myself and if I call myself an artist-- will not mean much to me but maybe sometimes it is just for the reference for others till the time…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The source of art

Lines and existence

If it matters